Alzheimer and Dementia Care
Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. Â Symptoms usually develop slowly and get worse over time, becoming severe enough to interfere with daily tasks.
During the different stages of Alzheimer’s, damage to the brain can make it difficult to express thoughts and perform routine tasks. Families who have someone with Alzheimerâ€™s shoulder a heavy responsibility, and it can become emotionally and physically demanding, thatâ€™s why First Place Home Care is here to help take the burden off you.
Our Alzheimerâ€™s and Dementia Care service will take into account:
- familiar surroundings, their freedom to move around in their own space,
- daily reminders to time, place and person; continue daily routine and schedules;
- dressing – encourage independent choice; arrange clothes in order; provide instructions if they need it.
- communicate with the person – get their attention, be patient, speak simply and directly.
- Bathing – Â try and plan ahead of time; always tell them what you are going to do and limit bathing.
- Plan daily activities and exercise; provide social interaction
- Eating â€“ serve small meals and snacks
- minimize those stresses that aggravate the symptoms of dementia.
- Provide home safety to prevent wandering
- Ensure proper identification in the event they get lost.
Creating a safe environment is one of the most important aspects of care-giving and can prevent many stressful and dangerous situations, thereby making sure that your love one receives the care needed. Â Focus should be on the care and dignity of the person with Alzheimer’s.